Wednesday, February 23, 2011

When life gives you lemons, make lemon poppyseed cupcakes!

This week is turning out to be a challenging week, yes, I know it just started but sometimes that's how it is. So I decided to break the normal weekend schedule and bake a lil something during the week. And whats a perkier dessert than cupcakes? Even the word itself is kinda cute, isn't it? I was in the mood for something fluffy with a citrus flavour and I came across this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/470636/lemon-and-poppyseed-cupcakes.

The poppyseeds were difficult to find but after visiting a health food store and a pharmacy that sells pretty much everything I stumbled upon a supermarket that had them as well as a few other things I will surely need in the future!


The first step was to combine the dry ingredients for the batter in a bowl. Then combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and finally to mix the wet and dry ingredients together. After that I filled my lined muffin pans and baked the muffins for 25 minutes. I checked the cupcakes after 20 minutes and had found that they were not done, so I extended the cooking time by 5 minutes after which they were perfectly done.


 As they cooled, I prepared the frosting using butter, lemon juice and icing sugar. Many of the reviews had commented that the quantity of icing produced by the recipe was too much and that the icing itself was too sweet. In order to avoid both these issues I used half the butter, half a lemon (my lemons were pretty large) and added sugar to taste.




After 5 minutes of cooling in the pan I moved the cupcakes unto my cooling rack. I allowed them to cool completely then it was to ice my cupcakes.






I tried using the cheap pastry bag and nozzles I bought at the store today but they wouldn't work for me for some reason. So I ended up just slathering the frosting onto the cupcakes with a rubber spatula which of course affected the overall appearance of my lovely lemony cupcakes.




When I tasted them, the airy, light lemony taste of the frosting was wonderful and apparent. It was certainly the star of the show. The cake itself was moist and not too sweet, but it was not as light and airy as I expected it to be and I feel as though the batter on top of having the lemon zest in it, could perhaps have benefited from some lemon juice.

Now after turning life's lemons into a lemony dessert, I'd better get some rest, because tomorrow is a whole, new, day.






No comments:

Post a Comment