Monday, March 28, 2011

Why use the fridge when the freezer is so much faster?!!

It's been more than a week since my last post, no I haven't dropped the ball, I went on a weekend trip with the bf to the south coast and had an AMAZING time. So when I got home this evening, I HAD to bake. This week's recipe utilizes one of my favorite nuts, pistachios. I made Pistachio Cranberry Icebox Cookies from Gourmet December 2006.


I started by shelling the pistachios and zesting the orange, which again highlighted the fact that I need a zester. It's way too difficult to zest citrus with an ordinary grater. I can't find them anywhere in Jamaica. I'll have to get one the next time I go abroad. After reading the reviews, I decided to chop the nuts in my mini chopper for a bit so that the cookies would be easier to slice. 


Now that the hard stuff was complete, I combined the flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl I whipped the butter, sugar and orange zest together. 


In thirds, I added the flour mixture to the butter mixture. When it was completely combined, I added the cranberries and pistachios. I tasted the batter and decided it could use some more zest so I finished off whatever was left on the orange I had.


I divided the batter into two square logs using plastic wrap. The instructions said to refrigerate for at least two hours, but I figured it wouldn't hurt if I just put 'em in the freezer until they were firm enough to slice instead. So I did, and for the most part, it worked!. There were a few cookies that fell apart a little, but I just squooshed 'em back  together, no prob! After slicing them, I baked them for 18 minuted on a parchment lined sheet, then placed them on a rack to cool. They cooled very quickly, which was good because we couldn't wait to taste them.


My boyfriend, myself and our friend who was visiting took a taste. These tasted good but they weren't as sweet as I had expected, or wanted them to be. I was also disappointed that I did not pick up the fresh flavour of the orange zest. But with a few adjustments this could be a winner. I especially liked when I got a bite of cranberry or pistachio, that was the highlight of this cookie.

For those of you who can't stand the suspense involved in waiting for me to make a new blog post, I have added a new feature, you can follow me by email. Enter your email in the box entitled "Follow by Email" under the "About Me" section to the right and follow the instructions. You will receive an email to confirm your intentions to receive emails. Confirm it and you will receive an email every time I make a new post. Its that easy! All you have to do is make sure my emails aren't going to your junk box, after all my posts aren't junk! They're delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment