Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Holiday + New Book = BAKING!

This week my aunt sent me an Amazon gift card to purchase any of the baking books on my list :-). I selected "Baking: From My Home To Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. I bought it in Kindle because its instant, more portable and I don't have to worry about shipping. Plus now I have a copy of it on my PC, my Kindle and my Ipod. Today is a holiday, so I decided that I'd try out a recipe from my new book. I thought, "What haven't I made yet?" and the answer came to me "cookies!" I chose a classic, chocolate chip cookies. Dorie's recipe is entitled "My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies".


I elected to make a half batch of these cookies since I didn't know what I'd do with 45 cookies which is what the full recipe makes. I started out by whisking the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt) together. I added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, cause, well, I can! Then I creamed the butter and sugar, beat in the egg and vanilla. Then I combined the two mixtures and added chocolate chips and finely ground pecans to the mix. I don't have a food processor, but I do have a mini chopper which I used to grind the pecans.


I scooped rounded tablespoons of the mixture unto two baking sheets lined with foil and baking PAM. Each sheet was baked for 12 minutes, Then cooled for one minute after which I removed the cookies and placed them on the cooling rack to continue cooling.


Up until now I have been avoiding purchasing cookie sheets. I figured I would just make due with what I had. However it was clear during the baking of the cookies that the sheets I have are too small. The cookies were crowded and so they ended up odd shaped. So I have a choice either continue to make misshapen cookies, bake a small amount at a time or buy bigger baking sheets. I think I'll take the third option. 

After they were cooled, I tasted a cookie. The cookie was crisp, thin and chocolaty. These were good, but not the texture I prefer in a chocolate chip cookie. Some like them big and cake-like, some like them thin and crisp, me? I like them chewy. So along with the search for a brownie to knock my socks off, I'll also be looking for a chewy chocolate chip cookie that'll make me melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment